Now you have planned your next adventure, its ready to get your car and van road worthy.
Check your cars vitals: –
Have your car serviced before you go.
- Check tyre pressure – refer to the cars placard or manual to get the correct tyre pressure and ensure all tyres are correct, including the spare.
Tip: Inflate tyres to the maximum loaded recommended if you are going to carry a full component of passengers and luggage.
- Check tyre changing kit – make sure all parts are present.
- Check tyre treads – if the tyre tread depth are close to their limits it is strongly recommended that they be replaced.
- Check your oil, water & brake fluid – if you have needed to top up any of the fluids regularly it is advisable to get them checked.
- Clean your windscreen – inside and out and check the washer fluid liquid.
- Check the lights – including breaks, blinkers, headlamps and high beam.
- Road side assist – make sure you are a member and you are covered for the duration of your trip.
Check your caravans vitals: –
If your caravan has been in storage is will need a good clean. For the exterior, grab a hose, a soft broom and mild detergent. Once dry open the windows and doors and let fresh air through while you wipe down the surfaces inside.
- Check wheels – make sure the tyres are pumped up and the wheel hubs and bearings are well greased.
- Check the coupling, safety chains, jockey wheel – make sure they are in working condition and grease where necessary.
- Test the brakes – if you have an electric brake controller, make sure this is checked also.
- Check electricity – connect and check that it is working including all PowerPoints and lights.
- Refill gas tanks – test outlets and appliances – if in doubt have them serviced by a professional.
- Clean water tanks – closer to your departure date, flush out the tanks and then run sterilising agent through them and flush. Drain and refill with fresh water.
- Reassess and restock – consider what is essential to take.
Here are some additional checklist to ensure you have a great holiday: