Mosquitoes aren’t just annoying, but their irritating bites can leave itchy or swollen bumps on your skin – which can spoil a fun camping holiday in the great outdoors. Natural mosquito repellents might be able help you with this!
Natural mosquito repellents are often based on essential oils and natural ingredients. It is an alternative to using DEET, insecticides and other toxic substitutes that can be potentially harmful to those with sensitive skin.
Discover our top 5 picks for natural mosquito repellents.
Natural Repellent Spray
The ingredients needed are:
- 1 355mL bottle of Witch Hazel (one without alcohol or parabens is your best bet for a completely natural repellent)
- 15 drops of citronella essential oil
- 15 drops of lemongrass oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of tea tree oil (optional, but works great if you have ticks as well)
- 1 funnel
- 1 empty spray container
- 1 empty mixing jar
Combine the essential oils and witch hazel into the mixing jar. Once mixed well, use the funnel to pour the contents into a spray bottle .
Light up some citronella oil-based candles and position them around your campsite at night.
According to research, formulated citronella-based repellents can be effective as DEET and can repel mosquitoes for up to 2 hours.
Rosemary Herbs on the BBQ
If you are planning a BBQ, chop up some rosemary herbs and grill them on the burner. The aromatic scent lingering in the air can keep mosquitoes and other insects away .
Tea Tree Oil
Not only as an effective natural mosquito repellent, Tea Tree Oil has many beneficial uses for having antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties . Tea Tree Oil comes in small spray bottles and applies to exposed areas of skin.
- Apply to skin
Add 30 drops of Lavender oil to 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then rub into exposed areas of your body such as your arms and ankles .
- Stick a ribbon up
Place a few drops of lavender oil on long strips of ribbon and tie the ribbons to your gazebo or canopy in areas of high mosquito exposure.
-  ‘DIY Natural Mosquito Repellent Using Essential Oils’ By Organic Aromas
-  ‘13 Mosquito Repellent Plants You Need in Your Home and Backyard’ By Fantastic Services Group
-  ‘10 Natural Ingredients That Repel Mosquitos’ By Healthline
-  ‘How to enjoy a mozzie free summer. Without the mosquito repellant.’ By Mamamia.com.au