A rich warm self-saucing chocolate or caramel pudding can be so delightful as a dessert guaranteed to get your tastebuds excited.
Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Image Source: Ozpig Pty Ltd
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200 ml milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups boiled hot water
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- medium mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- baking paper
- camp oven (if using campfire)
- non-stick pot (if using portable gas stove)
For the cake
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the self-raising flour, sugar and cocoa powder. Add butter and rub together using your hands until fine crumbs form.
- Pour milk into the medium mixing bowl, stir the mixture with a spatula until a damper is formed.
NOTE: Add a bit of flour if mixture is too wet. Add a bit of milk if mixture is too dry.
For the sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cocoa powder.
- In another small bowl, dissolve golden syrup in boiled hot water.
The cooking starts…
- In a preheated camp oven OR non-stick pot lined with baking paper, add the cake damper and push it down to the edges of the pot to form the shape of a cake.
- Over the top, sprinkle your ‘sugar and cocoa powder’ mix then gently pour your ‘golden syrup and water’ mix (spread evenly in circular motion).
- Place lid on and cook for 30 minutes. If using portable gas stove, cook on medium-high temperature.
Recipe source: Ozpig Pty Ltd
Caramel Pudding Recipe
Image Source: Lisa Turner from Everything Caravan and Camping Website
If you love a caramel pudding, you can implement similar ingredients and method above. Just simply replace the cocoa powder for 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract in EACH of the cake and saucing ingredients. Also add a tablespoon of icing sugar at the end (i.e. after cooking). Check out a similar recipe here