Nothing is like Christmas baking with the family and here is a cookie recipe with a festive twist.
250g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon coconut essence
1 ¾ cups plain flour
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
330g box royal icing
115g bottle Dr Oetker Glamour and Sparkle edible sprinkles
- Lightly grease two large oven trays. Line with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and essences in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add combined flour and coconut in two batches, beating on a low speed until just combined. (Don’t over-beat).
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Divide in half. Shape each into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- One at a time, roll out each half between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 9cm round cutter, cut out rounds from dough, re-rolling dough scraps as necessary, to make 14 in total.
- Using a 4cm round cutter, cut out the centre from each round (See Tip). Place the 9cm rounds, about 3cm apart, on prepared trays.
- Cook both trays in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until light cookies are golden. Remove. Cool on trays completely.
- To decorate, prepare icing according to packet directions.
- One at a time, spread icing evenly over cookies. Scatter with sprinkles. Return to trays. Stand until set.
TIP! Place wreath centres on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook in moderately slow oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container to enjoy with a cup of coffee.